Mural artist Elizabeth Veglia (left) and Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College (MGCCC) Fine Arts Chair (right) Sandra Cassibry begin celebration of Stone County’s Centennial. The mosaic tile mural will be dedicated May 10, 2016, and is supported by a grant from the Heritage Foundation and the Stone County Economic Development Partnership (SC EDP).
Veglia, Cassibry, and MGCCC art students are working with mural architect Rusty Ryals and the SC EDP Centennial Committee on this significant project.
- September 15: Stone County Arts Council (SCAC) meeting is at 5:30pm followed at 6:30pm by a stained glass assemblage workshop (cross/dragonfly);
- September 19: 9am-3pm; Debra Ballinger Basic Pencil Drawing;
- October 10: Funky Fish with artist Kelly Spacht has been rescheduled for this date for 9am-3pm;
- October 20: Stone County Arts Council meets at 5:30pm followed at 6:30pm by a “Home” Canvas painting workshop with Sandra Cassibry.
To sign up for any of the workshops, please call Sandra Cassibry at 601-928-6298. Most 1/2 day classes are $30 members and $40 non-members and full day classes are $60 for members and $75 non-members.
All meetings and workshops are at the Community Arts Center on the Perkinston Campus unless other wise noted.
Emily Sumrall’s 9th grade students from Stone High School recently spent two days with mosaic tile mural artist Elizabeth Veglia and Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College (MGCCC) arts instructor Sandra Cassibry creating mosaic tile concrete benches celebrating Stone County’s heritage plants and animals.
Project sponsors include the Bank of Wiggins, Betsy and Otis Rowell, the Friends of Stone County Libraries, the Stone County Arts Council, MGCCC, and the Stone County School District. We thank everyone for their support.
March 20-22 Pine Hill Day. If you can help Daisha (601-928-6289) or Kelly (601-528-1123) with their efforts to pass out our SCAC information please contact them (March 21).
March 23: Join Friends of Stone County Libraries for the Dr. Seuss Celebration and Seuss Book Give Away at the Wiggins Library from 3:30-5:00pm.
March 24: SCAC Monthly meeting at the Visual Arts Center on the Perkinston Campus-5:30 pm. Bring pictures for the SCAC art show.
March 25: 8:15-2:15 Artist- Elizabeth Veglia/Sandra Cassibry- Mosaic Tile Workshop with MGCCC Art Students SHS 9th Graders – SCAC members welcome to stop by (Visual Arts Center).
March 27: 8:15-2:15- Quilter Marcus Weekley works with community volunteers and a second group of SHS 9th graders at the CAC in a fabric arts workshop making community banners. We need one more volunteer. Please call Kathryn Lewis 228-697-4505 if you are interested.
March 28: 9am-noon- Artist Sherry Carlson presents Watercolor Workshop: Painting Flowers. Call Sandra at 601-928-6298 to register and for additional information.
Save the Date: Full day workshop- April 11- Suncatchers with Daniel Calcote!
Stone County Arts Council Reminders:
- March 18- 5:30 pm – SCAC meeting
- March 18-6:30 pm – Daisha Walker’s presents “The Emilie and Marie Stapp Story.” This program was funded by the MS Humanities Council in partnership with the Stone County Arts Council and the Friends of Stone County Libraries. The two new Stapp traveling murals are hanging in the Visual Arts Center Gallery until April 8th.
- March 21-22 – Pine Hill Day – SCAC will sponsor a booth. Please sign up with Sandra Cassibry to help man the booth.
- March 26 – Arts Day at the Capitol. If you would like to attend, call Kathryn Lewis at 228-697-4505 for more information.
- March 27 -Noon at The Lightered Knot- Dianne Williams (Author and Arts Commission Cultural Arts Director) shares stories and sign her new book on MS Tall Tales. This book features two Stone County stories.
- March 27 – 6:00 pm – Top of the Hancock Bank Building (Gulfport) – Elizabeth Huffmaster Art Show Opening. This event is free.
- April 10- 6:00 pm – Cassibry and Calcote Gallery Opening- Visual Arts Center
- April 9-11 – Children’s Book Festival at USM – This event features award winning authors and illustrators. More information is available online.
- April 12: 9:00 am -2:00 pm -Silk Fabric Painting Workshop with Kelli Spacht-$60 for members and $75 for non-members…sign up by calling 601-928-6298.
- April 15: 5:30 pm – SCAC meeting
- April 15: 6:30 pm – Cross Painting Workshop with Sandra Cassibry ($30 for members and $40 for non-members). Call 601-928-6298 to register.
We do amazing work!!! Congratulations to Elizabeth Huffmaster for wining a purchase award and $500 watercolor award at the Fairhope Art Show. Congratulations also to member Marilyn Ammons for winning “Best in Show” at the Daphne Arts Show sponsored by the Mobile Watercolor Society.
Almost finished! The second traveling Emilie Stapp mural featuring the characters from her books is being painted by artist Sherry Carlson with the art students at MGCCC-Perkinston Campus. This mural is funded by the Stone County Arts Council in partnership with the Mississippi Humanities Council, MGCCC and the Friends of Stone County Libraries. A special thanks to Sherry who is donating her time and talent, Sandra Cassibry (Fine Arts Chair/art instructor at MGCCC-Perkinston Campus) and the Pink Rooster Gallery in Ocean Springs for helping secure the canvas.
These murals will travel to the schools in Stone County and help tell the incredible story of Emilie Stapp, children’s writer and philanthropist, who lived in Stone County. This mural and a second traveling mural sharing Stapp’s life will be featured March 11th, 12:30-1:30, at the Visual Arts Center for Daisha Walker presentation on Stapp funded by the Mississippi Humanities Council, March 15th, 10AM-4PM, during the Doll Show and Tea Party at the Senior Citizens Center sponsored by The Old Firehouse Museum, and March 18th at 6:30PM at the Visual Arts Center when the Walker presentation is repeated.